Monday, April 1, 2013

Elena Awareness vs. Elena Acceptance



April 1st is the official beginning of "Autism Awareness Month."
Others say it's the official beginning of "Autism Acceptance Month."
Awareness…?
Acceptance…?

(Sigh)

You know, I'm a dad with two autistic children.   
I really don't have the time or energy to figure it out.


For me, what's really important is that April 1st is my daughter's birthday, and today she is five-years old.   

She is beautiful, intelligent, hilariously funny, musical, fun, happy, playful, sensitive, and full of charm, warmth and grace.   
She is my light in times of darkness.  
She is a hug in times of stress.  
She is a smile in times of sadness. 
And I love her more than Earth.

Whether you are aware of it or not, she is definitely autistic, and you should just accept her for who she is. 
 
It's easier that way. 

1 comment: