Saturday, May 18, 2013

ARTism...

When Elena began her special day preschool mixed program a little over two years ago she couldn't grasp very well, if at all.  She would eat with her hands, always.  Coloring and scribbling were not activities she could engage in.  Holding a pencil or crayon was nearly impossible.

So when Sheila, her intensive in-home therapist, took out a ceramic painting set from our toy cabinet during her session and asked me if it would be okay if Elena painted I said, "Sure, she can paint!" but inside I was screaming "Why in the hell do we even have that!?!"  We have let her paint many times, with watercolors, and it is usually a puddle dripping disaster of colorfully epic proportions.  She has fun though, and that's what is important, right?

To be honest, when it's just me at home, I have tended to hide the watercolors from her, or I tell her that we could paint later on or tomorrow, which never happens.  I mean, seriously, the mess she can make is downright FEMA worthy. As Sheila set her up and I got her some water to clean her brush, I just kept thinking, "This is just going to be a huge freakin' mess..."

She is a master preschool finger painter.  I have an online store over at CafePress.com called Autistic Endeavors where I have various items available for purchase that feature artwork by Nicholas, me and Elena.  (Autistic Endeavors website)  Several items that feature her "art" have actually sold, not only to friends and family but to random people across the United States, especially the finger paint projects she has brought home from school.  We ain't making money off this.  It's more about raising awareness.

She comes by the creative impulse naturally.  My family is full of starving professional and nonprofessional visual artists and artisans, including my older brothers and sisters, and my mom and dad, and my nieces and nephews.  Even I've sold a few of my digital photo art pieces, in postcard, greeting card, magnet, framed print and shower curtain form.  Jill is very creative and artistic, as is her Uncle Maurice, a professional theater artist.  Her mom is a brilliant needle point artist and creative home cook.  Art is what we do.  However; using your fingers to paint and your hands to stamp and stencil are not the same skill set it takes to actually hold a paint brush.  Particularly since Elena could hardly hold a spoon two years ago.

Sheila quietly sat down with Elena.  I was at the computer, emailing the White House for disaster relief aid.  Okay, I exaggerate, although it was quiet.  Too quiet.  It was so darn quiet that I finally glanced over and saw one of the most beautiful sights this ASD dad will ever see.  His child fully focused, engaged, having a wonderful time, with a great and beaming smile on her face...and hardly a mess in sight.

What else is a dad to do but take pics?  That is over two and a half years of intensive occupational therapy at work.  Let us celebrate what so many others take for granted.  And cherish the small triumphs as we experience them.














No comments:

Post a Comment